Opening a New Vein in the Recording Custom Legacy
Yamaha’s Recording Custom snare drums have been at the heart of countless records since the late ’70s. And now, thanks to a partnership with session icon Steve Gadd (Paul Simon, Steely Dan), these snares are better than ever. Each Recording Custom represents a different generation of some of the most celebrated metal snares in the industry. Choose from the dynamic woodiness of aluminum, the cutting crack of steel, or the dark intensity of brass (each sold separately). Shells are expertly formed to just 1.2mm thick with an external center bead — a first in Yamaha’s history — and treated to a sumptuous brushed finish with updated lugs and an offset badge.
Aluminum shell boasts an open, woody tone
Of all the metal snares, aluminum is generally the most organic sounding. The most famous of these vintage snares remain studio standards to this day, beloved by drummers of all backgrounds for their open and woody presence. The Yamaha Recording Custom’s 1.2mm aluminum shell embodies everything that was great about this period of drum making. You get the sensitivity of metal with the warm, organic qualities of wood, all with the dependability you count on from modern Yamaha drums.
3mm die-cast hoops provide an edge in the studio
When you really need a snare that cracks, die-cast hoops are a joy in the studio. At 3mm each of matching aluminum, these hoops don’t just make a nice complement to the Recording Custom’s openness and body, but also to its aesthetic appeal.
Smooth, stable, and quiet throw off
A dependable snare throw off is essential for studio work. The Yamaha Q-type mechanism on your Recording Custom is quick and stable at dialing in snare tension and stealthy at releasing wires in the middle of a take.
Session ready with Remo heads
Your Recording Custom snare is ready for the record light with an included complement of Remo heads. You get an industry-standard Ambassador Coated on top for backbeats to brushwork and a sensitive 3mm Ambassador Snare Side to draw out your grace notes. This finishing touch is just another reason drummers stand behind Yamaha Recording Custom snare drums for session work.
Yamaha Recording Custom 14″ Aluminum Snare Drum Features:
- Size: 6.5″ x 14″ (depth x diameter)
- Designed in cooperation with Steve Gadd
- 1.2mm aluminum shell boasts an open tone, woody depth, and satisfying crack
- Takes design cues from some sought-after vintage aluminum snares
- External center bead provides a classic look and crisp tone
- Timeless, understated brushed finish makes a fine addition to any kit
- Made over with sleeker 1-piece lugs and an updated offset badge
- 3mm aluminum die-cast hoops give backbeats an edge in the studio
- Q-type throw off mechanism tensions snares quickly, releases quietly
- Super-sensitive 25-strand snare
- Fitted with Remo batter and snare heads for a record-ready sound