Opening a New Vein in the Recording Custom Legacy
Yamaha’s Recording Custom snare drums have been at the heart of countless records since the late ’70s. And now, thanks to a partnership with session icon Steve Gadd (Paul Simon, Steely Dan), these snares are better than ever. Each Recording Custom represents a different generation of some of the most celebrated metal snares in the industry. Choose from the cutting crack of steel, the dynamic woodiness of aluminum, or the dark intensity of brass (each sold separately). Shells are expertly formed to just 1.2mm thick with an external center bead — a first in Yamaha’s history — and treated to a sumptuous brushed finish with updated lugs and an offset badge.
Steel shell is a mainstay for funk and rock
This Recording Custom’s bright rimshots and lively overtones will infuse your backbeats with attitude and provide a long, lingering decay for slower numbers. At just 1.2mm thick, this snare has all the bark and sensitivity you love in a steel snare, with a wide tuning range to suit downtuned metal to button-downed ballads.
2.3mm Dyna Hoops enhance punch and openness
To coax a fatter, more open tone from its stainless steel shell, your Yamaha Recording is fitted with 2.3mm triple-flanged Dyna Hoops. These hoops are roll formed from thick steel for a great-feeling attack and heightened sensitivity as you move out toward the edge.
Smooth, stable, and quiet throw off
A dependable snare throw off is essential for studio work. The Yamaha Q-type mechanism on your Recording Custom is quick and stable at dialing in snare tension and stealthy at releasing wires in the middle of a take.
Session ready with Remo heads
Your Recording Custom snare is ready for the record light with an included complement of Remo heads. You get an industry-standard Ambassador Coated on top for backbeats to brushwork and a sensitive 3mm Ambassador Snare Side to draw out your grace notes. This finishing touch is just another reason drummers stand behind Yamaha Recording Custom snare drums for session work.
Yamaha Recording Custom 14″ Stainless Steel Snare Drum Features:
- Size: 7″ x 14″ (depth x diameter)
- Designed in cooperation with Steve Gadd
- 1.2mm steel shell boasts attitude and sensitivity for the modern recording production
- Great for rock and funk
- External center bead provides a classic look and crisp tone
- Timeless, understated brushed finish makes a fine addition to any kit
- Made over with sleeker 1-piece lugs and an updated offset badge
- 2.3mm triple-flanged Dyna Hoops impart openness and an excited low-end punch
- Q-type throw off mechanism tensions snares quickly, releases quietly
- Super-sensitive 25-strand snare
- Fitted with Remo batter and snare heads for a record-ready sound